The Port Authority of NY & NJ
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency’s network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
The Port Authority of NY & NJ is seeking to fill skilled-trade GENERAL MAINTAINERS in various NY Facilities. The temporary General Maintainer position is often the entry-point for many maintenance career paths at the Port Authority.
General Maintainers are general laborers who are responsible for variety of manual and semi-skilled construction trades for the Building Construction/General Maintainer (GM) position. General Maintainers will carry-out critical maintenance work that enable our facilities to remain safe and operational for the traveling public.
General Maintainers perform work that typically requires the knowledge of the following trade fields:
- Snow removal for commercial property
- Structural and mechanical maintenance
- Knowledge of materials, tools, blueprint reading and equipment of these trades
General Maintainers work a 40-hour week, which includes rotating shifts, nights, weekends, holidays, during inclement weather and overtime as needed.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- High School Diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Two (2) years of journey-level work experience in the building construction, general laborer fields
- Valid driver license with the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class B permit before the first day of work
- Applicants should refer to the following website for further information on obtaining a CDL and medical clearance for CDL licensing: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/drivertopics/cdl.htm OR https://dmv.ny.gov/org/get-cdl
Selected candidates will be subject to a comprehensive background check and will be asked to provide copies of the required licenses for verification.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
$21.46 hourly. This is a temporary position that offers health benefits and the possibility of permanent employment. Permanent General Maintainers are eligible for annual step increases up to $35.75 per hour (subject to collective bargaining agreement).
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: